Tuesday 14 November 2017

Nagardhan fort

Yes my friend ! Nagpur does have forts…not one but many..and I have discovered a few this monsoon !This one I found 10 kms short of the very famous Ramtek temple..The place is called ‘Nagardhan Killa’.


“Red fort of nagpur” the first expression that came out of my mouth after the first look ! It was love at first sight for me…The main gate has a remarkable resemblance to the red fort@ Delhi…It is no where near the grandeur ,but yes will definitely remind you of it !


Nagardhan – May be has been derived from ( Nagar) which means village /town and (Dhani) which means rich. My assumption that it may belong to lets say the zamidar of this place many many years back. The fort is not that big ! or may be the part which we say was the only structure that survived the natural erosion and human invasions. The ASI sign board outside the palace. declared the palace to be 2000 years old ! It says the fort initially belonged to the Gonds ( tribal chiefs) of vidharbha region and then the fort was captured by the Bhonsles.

Wont lie…The facelift done is commendable..but sadly, the ancient feel of the place is missing..Infact it does not look 2000 year any longer ! I believe in the saying ‘old is gold ‘ …I realized it then and there!It was time to say goodbye Nagardhan fort and welcome lunch…

We had ‘pet pooja’ at greenland( earlier known as Meghdoot resort) resort near khindsi lake…P.S – Do try chicken masala and fried rice..you will come back and thank me for the advice !




No comments:

Post a Comment